View Single Post

Old 03-09-2023, 05:40 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,770 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I meant my post to be helpful and constructive. Give them a call and only you can decide if having a licensed, insured, bonded, and has workman's comp will be worth their hourly fee. It's not for me to publish that in this case. It blew away the estimates for the handymen. I'm happy with a contractor. That doesn't happen often as I was in and around these businesses my whole stinking life. Therefore I have many trust issues with many of them but not Pikes.

They are GREAT!
Well, it is great when we help each other by reporting our personal experience, absolutely. What seems odd, because you mentioned they do charge a "lot per hour", why not say it's $50 an hour, or $75, or $35 ??? Don't they make their per hour charge public ? Why not ? Not arguing, just asking, seems strange. Sure hope they don't change it according to who is calling, Did you actually pay by the hour, not by the job, don't know what the sop is here in this area. We had a handyman like you mentioned, come and put in new switches in four boxes (old toggle type to the newer type), it didn't take even close to 20 minutes since they were all existing, nothing new to wire. The four were $15 (we purchased them and had them ready for him), we also had him replace two existing outside light fixtures on the lanai, again, no new wiring, those were $10 each and took about 8-10 min. for each one, last on the list was another new dimmer switch for the dinning area light fixture, $20 for that which took a bit longer, 15 min. or so. Was a bit short of an hour, so about $45 an hour roughly. Retired electrician from Ohio, had 37 years experience, seemed very knowledgeable and competent, but I guess yes, if a person has "trust issues" and a "stinking life", it's understandable, totally agree. I will ad we've had "licensed and bonded" "contractors" WITH NUMBERS on their card. When we called the state number to check out the numbers on the business card... guess what ? The numbers WERE legitimate numbers, but.... the "contractor" only paid ONCE, to get the number, then never renewed... so, there you go, more trust issues !