View Single Post

Old 03-12-2023, 06:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,890 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBaty View Post
I am looking for any advice you can offer. We are closing on a house in 3 weeks but will not move in until October. We are going to arrange for lawn and pest service etc. but need advice on home watch/security. Can you recommend someone? Should we have an alarm system put in? I am going to consult a pool company for advice on the pool but if you can think of anything I may be missing, I would appreciate your thoughts.
I was in the same position three years ago. I was supposed to close the last day of March, but Covid hit and shut down the country, so I had to do it long distance. I didn’t move here until November. That was the first time I saw The Villages.

The best approach is to simply continue the service the previous owners used. Then, when you get here, if you aren’t happy, you can try to find another one. In my case, however, the previous owner did his own yard work and cleaned the pool himself. But his next door neighbor’s yard and pool looked nice, and she had people who did them. The previous owner got me the name and phone number of the neighbor, and she got me names and numbers of her service providers. I contacted them, and they were happy to add me to their list of customers. My mowers do about half a dozen yards surrounding mine at the same time now. The man who cleans the pool also cleans the neighbor’s pool. Nice for all of us.

As for home watch/security, it’s not necessary. Ask your agent though at closing and make sure the faucets are turned off, AC set at 78° 24/7, etc. That’s plenty. You definitely don’t need an alarm system. After all, your house is empty. Even when you are here, crimes against people and property here are so exceedingly rare that it’s a waste of time. Alarm systems are just peace of mind for people who are far too anxious, not because there is an actual need.