Thread: Prostate biopsy
View Single Post

Old 03-28-2023, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Are you certain the test needs to be done? I question this because the PSA "normal" numbers, 1 -4 are inaccurate for everyone. The older you become, numbers somewhat higher than 4 become "normal". Meaning that, in some cases, that test is not necessary. Some physicians disagree with this, however, my information comes from many different sources. Due diligence here is absolutely mandatory. Good luck!
Get the test and ignore the statistics, statistics have outliers. If you happen to be one of the outliers, and blindly follow the statistics, your decision could kill you. My PSA was only 2.9 but the biopsy showed a Gleason score of 7. The final biopsy after open radical prostatectomy showed stage T3A cancer, which most likely would have killed me by now if I followed the statistics and didn’t get the biopsy. That was 6 1/2 years ago and my PSA remains undetectable (cancer free) : ). I was very lucky to have one of the best Urology Oncologist Surgeons in the world at Mass General do the surgery the old school way (open versus robotics) and get clean margins.

GET THE TEST!