View Single Post

Old 03-31-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyB View Post
Last week while visiting my parents they informed us they lost close to $100,000 with their broker Michael Whitaker. They invested in a very high-risk company GWG which has filed for bankruptcy about a year ago. My parents were told this was not high-risk by Michael Whitaker and GWG at the lunch where they first meet them. Michael has sent numerous emails to my parents over the last year telling to hang in there. They purchased a product call L Bonds which had a hold time for 7 years at that time Michael told them he had close to $10 million of his clients' money in GWG so they thought it must be safe.

I decided to look into GWG and Michael and the information I have found is not promising.

The information I have found says that this "GWG Was a Classic Ponzi Scheme"-Official Committee of Bondholders of GWG Holdings, Inc. The CEO transfer from the bondholders $258 million into his new company Beneficent. It stated that GWG used new bondholder funds to pay their monthly pay outs to existing bondholders for years and they sold over $1 billion in L Bonds.

I also found that the company Michael works for New Bridge Securities is also under investigation over the GWG L Bonds.

I want my parents to call a lawyer, they are hesitant since they have been with Michael for quite some time.

So, my question is for anyone who still works Michael have to file a lawsuit or are you going too. If you did file a lawsuit, what lawyer did you use and were you happy with the results.
I know this is horse already out of the barn but IMO any person/company offering a free lunch is just fishing for business and should be steered clear of. Sorry this is happening to your parents.