Thread: Amtrak
View Single Post

Old 03-31-2023, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky1951 View Post
I'm thinking of an alternative to driving/flying for my yearly trip to New England.

The Amtrak website is terrible to get general information on such trips. Looks like there's overnight trips from Orlando to NYC, then on to Providence.

I'd probably do a roomette. From viewing YouTube videos, it looks like a relaxing trip.

Has anyone done this? Can trips be booked through AAA?

Thanks
I have taken the overnight from Orlando to NYC. If you want to take a train then it's not a bad trip; I would probably fly the next time if I had the choice due to the cost and the time involved (weather prevented it this time) but I would not dread being on Amtrak.

Here are some things I noted:

- Easy to navigate the stations
- Comfortable ride
- Was nice watching the landscape go by (while the sun was up)
- More expensive than flying
- Much longer than flying
- Was available when flights were being canceled due to weather
- Roomette was comfortable for one. Two could fit but would be tight, especially moving around when configured for sleeping.
- Food was edible but nothing special. Note: I was traveling close to COVID and food service might have been limited due to that; it might be better now.
- My roomette came with access to the lounge in NYC. This was very nice!

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough