View Single Post

Old 04-01-2023, 05:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,148 Times in 885 Posts
Default Went to LIV golf tournament in Orlando

Decided to go watch my first golf tournament on Friday March 31st. I know there's a lot of controversy about LIV, but took the cheap opportunity to watch pros up close.

I expected a real party experience since they say "golf but louder", but it was traditional quiet golf with some faint music pumped in, here and there. There is an entertainment area with golf simulation and various shows and games at the 9th hole area. You can also upgrade your ticket to various 'club' areas on the course where the party atmosphere seemed to be.

I enjoyed watching/following Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson's group. The crowd was LOVING Phil, which as a leftie I did too! He was so responsive to the fans. Thanking us when we'd say "good putt Phil", and I even got a fist pump from him when he was passing by!

Even though it was a thrill to be so close to these professional golfers, I found myself getting bored by not being able to follow the path of the ball in the sky or see where it landed (much better view of that on TV). They should use bright colored balls, that might help us. Kept hearing from so many, "I can't see where it went". The walking was too much for me (yes I'm getting old), and the quality of golf was not amazing. So many missed good birdie opportunities. They both were -1 by the 9th hole and I'd had enough.

Glad I experienced it, but have no desire to watch live golf again. Have you gone to live golf tournaments? What was your experience?