View Single Post

Old 04-24-2023, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas View Post
I have an HP Envy laptop running Windows 10. This morning when I powered up the laptop and tried to enter my pin the letter keys (a,b,c) did not work. I'd press a key and nothing happened, no movement of the cursor, no error, nothing. However, the number keys did work. Yes, I pressed the number lock key to see if that was an issue. I then clicked on 'forgot my pin' and went through a verification process which required me to enter my alternate email address to get a verification code. Surprise, the letter keys worked fine which allowed me to enter the email address and get a code. After entering the code I got a warning about changing my pin and did I want to continue or cancel. I selected cancel and the normal Microsoft screen appeared just as it would have if I had been able to enter my pin at the very beginning. Everything worked fine. However, the next time I powered up the laptop the letter keys once again did not work and I had to again go through the 'forgot my pin' process.

Any ideas what is causing this or how I fix it? Thanks
while this is a great decription, you are leaving out details that can pin point the issue. Standard practice here - the PIN is a number so there really is no need for a "abc", second there can be other things happening with your machine, which is acting like it has conctracted a virus, because of lack of detail I can't tell if you are entering a fake shell or not. considering what you have to do to get somewhere with it, I'd say it's very possible.

In order to help figure that out aside from root scanner etc. remove the PIN as a method and reboot this will clear it, everything should work including you shouldn't need a pin to get into the machine. if you need a pin then you have contracted a real nice trojan. if you get in without a PIN then go back into setting and turn on the ability to use a PIN again and reboot.

These things aren't all that difficult to fix, although after reading all these forums I'm glad I do this FT otherwise I'd make a mint having a service around here.. LOL