View Single Post

Old 04-30-2023, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,562 Times in 3,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donfey View Post
If your computer is doing everything you want/need it to do, why "upgrade?" The fan can (and should) be replaced reasonably cheaply. After MS stops "supporting" Windows 10, nothing will change. (When is the last time you called MS for support?). I'd make sure your anti-virus software was kept up, and all files/pictures that can't be replaced are stored OFF the computer, and go happily on. Windows XP still "works!"

Just my opinion.
Support has nothing to do with that. It means they'll cease to offer security updates, making it vulnerable to newer virii, hacking, etc. It also means that the programs you have loaded on it WILL upgrade - and when THEY cease to be backward compatible, they will cease to work on your old computer. That's already happened with one of my old programs that I kept from when I had WinXP. It's already happening with my cell phone too - I can no longer use the Allstate app at all, so I uninstalled it. Google play store even states, when I tried to update it, that I have no devices left that it'll work with.

Yes, the old OSs all work just fine, as long as you use old programs and don't try to update them when updates are available. My OLD cell phone, I now use as an MP3 player because NONE of the apps on it will work on it anymore and in fact, if I try to connect it to wifi, it will try and update the firmware, and get stuck because it -cannot- update. My old Nexus tablet is now a paperweight for the same reason.

The fan doesn't need to be replaced at all. The computer functions fine with it not working, and it is one of three fans, and the other two are functioning at 100%. This is a powerful computer, and was designed to do things that I don't need it to do. I got a deal on it, otherwise I wouldn't have bought this model, I would've gotten a lower-end model.

But now, this model is obsolete, and if I want the functionality I actually use, I'll have to upgrade.