View Single Post

Old 05-15-2023, 08:47 AM
Default Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I have been playing pickleball for about seven weeks. I have never been super athletic, but am enjoying the game immensely. I took the intro class, have been showing up for beginners open play about three times per week, and am currently attending the mentorship classes. It is encouraging to me, that I get just a little better with each practice, and I am determined to increase my level of proficiency, while still keeping the emphasis on fun and exercise. What is frustrating to me, is the many very good players that show up for beginners open play. There are open play designations for beginners, advanced beginners and intermediate. As I enjoy playing and learning from those better than me, it is intimidating to play with those who are WAY better than me, playing themselves for many years, yet playing in beginners open play. Today in open play, I kept getting paired up with the same group, who were all very good players. I felt sorry for the person who was paired with me, as the games were all played very quickly with scores of 11-1, 11-0 and 11-2. It was almost impossible for me to return any of the serves, and I didn’t get any real practice in of hitting the ball back. Everyone was very nice, but I felt like such an anchor playing with these more highly experienced players in beginners open play. This has happened more than once during the open play. Sometimes I get grouped with actual other beginners, and that to me is more beneficial, getting more “volley” time in. As a single player, I don’t have the option of going to open play with an established group of 4 at my level of play. The friends and neighbors I have met that play, are all much more experienced than me. Maybe this is something I just need to “get over” and work through. I see myself improving with each practice, and I am very much determined to get good at this sport that I really enjoy. I am also thinking of taking private lessons to improve my game and technique. With that said, if there is anyone else that is fairly new to pickleball, that love it as much as I do, please message me, and it would be great to meet up and practice.
I had the same experience a few years back with Platform Tennis. It was so bad I left in tears and never played again. The “beginners” had been playing together for a few years and didn’t want to break up the group, so they kept coming. I, as a former tennis player, was messing up their game while trying to get used to the length of the racquet and weight of the ball. I was humiliated and embarrassed and never got to play a sport I thought would be a good fit.
I hear you….