View Single Post

Old 05-20-2023, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,348 Times in 2,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
They need to run the AutoTrain from somewhere just north of the NYC area down through Florida. Having the terminal in middle Virginia is just plain stupid. Once you get past Richmond going south, driving is usually easy. DC through Richmond, going north or south, can be a slow mess. AutoTrain now does the easy part, which makes it a no-go for me. Not much benefit for the money.
I asked about this years ago, and was told there were too many bridges (tunnels?) or other locations that restricted the height of the train so it was not practical to go any further North.

As an aside, I have driven 95 North and South, and I will never do it again, so it is train or fly. Now depending on how long you are going to stay, the car rental can easily offset the cost of the car transportation, and the airline fare would offset the cost of the passengers (we do not fit well in economy seats). So while I appreciate the comments about driving, it is not for us.

Last edited by villagetinker; 05-21-2023 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling errors corrected