Thread: Lawn repair 101
View Single Post

Old 05-31-2023, 09:20 AM
Default Installing new sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If it is the outside sensor, you can buy the entire sensor assembly, including the solar sync and the rain sensor for $105.97 on Amazon.

Amazon.com

Note that I think you will need to cut the existing wires and splice them to the new wires because I don't think there are any wire terminals for connection. Another option is to pull the new wires through the conduit and into the controller box in the garage. A lot of homeowners have opted to replace the solar sensor assembly with a wireless rain sensor only, which eliminates the solar sync function, and allows you to control the watering times manually.
I just replace the outside sensor for my Hunter System after 7 years. A wired sensor comes with a very long wire attached. You remove the old sensor and cut the wire on the existing sensor. Tie the wire for the new sensor to the old sensor's wire and then pull the wire through the low voltage box in your garage. You open the Hunter controller and look at where the sensor wires are placed making sure you have the correct color with the correct terminal as you remove the old wire and put in the new wire. You'll have a significant amount of extra wire from the new sensor, you can cut this and strip the ends for putting in the low voltage box.