View Single Post

Old 06-02-2023, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
We are also seasonal residents and I've made a check list on an Excel spread sheet so I can use it every year when leave. Also, it is a good reminder of what I need to re-do when we get back. Here are just a few items on my list. If you would like a copy of my actual list, PM me.

1. Put golf bags and bag chairs into bedroom closet because garage gets too hot and will destroy fabric type materials.
2. Unplug Power to TV & DVD (leave Cable Box & Modem ON if put cable on Vacation).
3. Put Printer ink in Zip Lock Bag and place bag in refrigerator.
4. Run water in tub to fill drain trap, Shut Tub & Sink drain stoppers to minimize evaporation and bugs from getting into house.
5. Put porch/lanai furniture into the garage in case of storm or hurricane.
6. Remove battery from all remotes: Comcast, TV, & sound bar (we had battery go bad and corroded the TV remote).
7. Unplug Coffee Maker, Toaster, & Microwave.
8. Turn off refrigerator Ice Maker and put baking soda boxes in refrig & freezer.
9. Take down anything outside that might get ruined or blown away in a bad storm/hurricane.
10. Check and clean/replace furnace air filter, and add 1 cup vinegar to the A/C drain line.
11. Clean out sprinkler rings and set watering settings for summer.
12. Turn Off Water Heater and Main House water supply.
13. Stop Daily Sun Newspaper Delivery (352) 751-7964 .
14. Set A/C to 79 or 80 (want it to run to minimize humidity) Not worried too much about furnace heat.
15. Begin forwarding Florida Mail USPS.com and stop forwarding mail to Florida (allow 10 days pipeline).
16. Change Billing Mailing Addresses for accounts that you set up with the Florida address.
17. Set up someone as a home watch representative to regularly inspect your home (may be a neighbor).
18. Advise your lawn service company with a local contact number of that Home Watch representative.

WOW! As a life long snow bird (I learned a lot of these tips from my parents when I was a kid), I have never seen a list as extensive as this. You take some remarkable steps and ones that I shall implement in my own close down of my winter home. Thank you for your thoroughness and willingness to share!