View Single Post

Old 06-11-2023, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
The Rebel with the Tamron lens I described is fairly compact. A 40 year old film camera will never compare to a Rebel in terms of capabiity, ease of use, cost per picture (film and developing is costly on a per picture basis), and you don't have to carry around film cannisters. The digital SLR camera of today has so much more capability than a phone camera. To be clear, I do use my phone camera whenever I don't have my DSLR. I just realize what limitations are there.

While I am not a professional photographer, I am an avid amateur. I started with an Olympus OM1 in the seventies, had a first generation Canon EOS, moved to a Canon Rebel, and now my wife and I have Canon 80D and Canon 5D Mark 3. While we have a variety of lenses, I still use the Tamron 18-250 lens I bought 20+years ago in many situations.

It is true that people have taken some great pictures with a phone camera. However, a Rebel with the appropriate lens will dramatically increase your odds of getting that great picture.

Finally, the most important part of taking a great picture is the gray matter between your ears.

Good Luck
Would second all of that. On my fourth iteration of the Canon Digital Rebel. Considered them almost disposable as they were used primarily under water (when, not if, kind of thing). If you *really* want that long shot, this deal looks interesting. Amazon.com I have a similar "Bigma" and it is surprisingly "hand-holdable" with its image stabilization feature and a *lot* of fun. :-) About an order of magnitude less expensive than a long Canon lens yet with probably 80% of the result. From "outside the ropes". Flickr

I have no experience with this P1000 job but have seen what friends have pulled off with them and it's hard to believe - something like 3000mm?! Nikon Coolpix P1000 Review: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by mntlblok; 06-11-2023 at 06:55 AM. Reason: To the burrowing owl photo from flickr