View Single Post

Old 06-13-2023, 03:58 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,119 Times in 310 Posts

We did Alaska last year, all the way up the inside passage, then the overland journey to Denali and Fairbanks.

If you were a photographer, you'd already have the camera. So my advice is to upgrade your phone, if you think it's inadequate. If you're like me, you're not taking "photographs", you're just preserving memories. For that, you just want you phone handy. Unless you're a pro, you'll never do the scenery justice, regardless of the camera.

There were two times when I wish I had a telephoto lens. One was at Glacier Bay, when the boat didn't get close enough to see the glacier calve. But I never would have caught it, anyway. A good pair of binoculars would have been more useful. The next day we were in College Fjord and got very close, and watched lots of calving glaciers.

The other time was on the Denali tour, when they kept point out bears and elk so far away that they were just dots. Once again, though, I think binoculars would have been better, because they'd just be fuzzy at that range in the camera.