View Single Post

Old 06-15-2023, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,969 Times in 5,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Cleaning your AC condensate line(s) is a lot easier if you modify the PVC plumbing line near the air handler(s). You add a shutoff switch and a connection for a garden hose. The condensate line is blown out with the water pressure from the garden hose. The PVC shutoff switch prevents the garden hose water from going into your air handler, and forces the water to exit through the condensate line outside your home.

There are several YouTube videos that demonstrate how to modify the PVC condensate line. I bought the parts from Lowe’s, which was drastically cheaper than buying the module from EBay.

I have two air handlers in my garage. I also have a sink in my garage. The next time I flush out my condensate lines, I think I’ll connect a hose from the garage sink to the condensate line connection port. Maybe flushing out the lines with pressurized hot water would be more effective that using pressurized cold water.

If I don’t clean out my condensate lines, then after about one year, one of the condensate lines gets clogged, and the AC quits working because the clogged condensate line triggers a shutoff relay to active, which shuts down the AC system. Cleaning the condensate line about every 3 to 6 months prevents the failures. I find it a lot easier to hook up a hose to the condensate lines than to pour a bucket of hot water into a funnel into the condensate line. The hose eliminates the hassle of carrying a heavy bucket of hot water up the ladder in the garage.

https://youtu.be/-EnyXGBIOH0
I have a Drain King 345 from Amazon. It does the same thing without modifying the piping. The rubber tip expands and prevents water backflow. But you do need someone to hold it when you first turn the water on.

Amazon.com