View Single Post

Old 06-16-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
First of all, have not had the "standard" cabin on Viking, but our experiences on Viking and on another river cruise line had us questioning why we did NOT just book a "standard" water level cabin. I say this because the there are so few decks, compared to an ocean going vessel, so a "water level" cabin, a deck 2 or 3 on a cruise ship, is MUCH different than on a river cruise. We found we had very little interest in watching from, or staying in, our standard cabin on Viking. We much preferred to do our day time and even night time observing on one of the open decks, while when ocean cruising, do spend time on our own balcony. Consider these things and how they might, or might not, effect your decision: you will only be one, or two sets of stairs from one of the open decks, you will NOT be 8, 10, or 12 stories from a location for food, snacks, or drinks as you would be on deck 2 of a cruise ship. You will not be getting the type of wind you get at sea, so sitting "topside" day or even night, is nothing like being at sea. The vessel will be going very slowly most of the time, again, being "up and out" possible at any time. And, though we've been lucky to not have been caught in rain very often, should it occur, you do not have far to go "down" to your lower level cabin. Our conclusion; probably would NOT spend the money again for the cabins with the an entire wall of sliding glass, we much preferred to sit "atop" to watch the slowly passing sights and interesting architecture, cathedral steeples, etc. Just as an ocean voyage, check and double check to make sure you've not forgotten your binoculars, I think you will find you use them more than ever on a river cruise and regardless of what cabin you end up booking, I doubt you'll spend much time in it. I know they often say that about ocean cruising, but we do enjoy and spend time in our cabin on those, but river cruises, not nearly as much. Also, much smaller passenger count and you will find (I think), passengers recognizing most of the others passengers after only a couple days, and many, if not most, do not spend their days in their cabins (as a rule... I'm sure there are some who do). So, if you really are not looking for a "resort", to just go off and enjoy spending time in a luxurious room as the major part of the vacation, then I'd take what ever cabin is available ! Only YOU can decide if a standard room will spoil your vacation. If it will, book at least a year ahead, don't be regretful. Just enjoy, enjoy, enjoy !
I agree with this. We had the standard cabin for the 2 week Grand European cruise a few years ago and spent little time in our room.