View Single Post

Old 07-16-2023, 10:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
No. I'm pretty certain he asked if the ball measured at 3 feet documented as such had to be used by the team. The team can decide whether to use that shot or not. Until someone comes along and lands one 35 inches from the hole his is closest to the pin for the day. There is not existing rule the team must use the closer shot. Most only require at least one tee shot from all four players. Is that not what he asked?
I believe he was asking if the shot that was 36" from the hole counted as "closest to the pin", even if they choose to use the 5' shot as their "Tee Shot" on the hole.

In other words, does using the ball that was 5' away, negate the "Closest to the Pin" shot, that was 3' away.

I suppose the question would be the same, if the situation were on the "Longest Drive" hole. If you don't use that particular drive, is it still the "longest drive"?

Again, there are no official rules for this situation. As someone else mentioned, the "Closest to the Pin" might be an "individual" competition rather than a "team" competition. (As I think about this, I'll bet that somewhere in the marketing or instructions for the tournament, it mentioned "individual prizes" for Closest to the Pin & Longest Drive. I think that would unequivocally answer the question. Whether you use the shot or not, the individual achievement qualifies for the prize.)

It could be interpreted either way, which is one of the many reasons I refuse to play in Scrambles of any sort. There are no real rules and everyone cheats.