Thread: Vision issue
View Single Post

Old 08-04-2023, 08:43 AM
Default Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyo View Post
I have a similar sight Issue and have no problem in asking my fellow golfers to watch my ball and indicate where it lands. However, I have little use for golf but do like the English language. Congratulations on correcting your sentence that ended with a preposition. You stand alone in that respect. Being retired with nothing else to do I like analyzing replies and in your case it's confusing. I realized that it matters little, but I find it interesting that your handle indicates possibly an Englishman (bloke) and yet your final sentence ends with an 'eh?' which might indicate Canadian. I know, too much time.
Also a *huge* fan of the English language, but also a confirmed absurdist. My "correction" was more of an indicator of my awareness of you prepositionists out there. :-) I'll bet you're even aware of Churchill's famous jab at such a "rule". (Have now learnt {British usage} that his name has only two H's).

Such confusion is *precisely* my intent, though not via my "blok" (bloke?) handle. Bell South merely limited me to eight letters way back when, so had to shorten my usual "mental block" moniker somehow. This has led to near total misunderstanding of intent, though a couple of dentists here and there have managed to still pick up on the double entendre. :-)

Both British and Canadian figures of speech are sources of pleasure for me, as are all accents. My buddy from Alberta sez "gradge" rather than "garage". I also enjoy mixing my "mountain" heritage's colloquialisms with more "educated" jargon. Seems to help keep folks off balance. Also find little inhibition with word coinage. :-) Hard even for *me* to hear my uneducated sounding accent, though. :-) Love hearing and trying to figure out others' accents' origins. But, I *can* do "lie and lay" and can work "affect" and "effect" each as both a noun and a verb. :-) Mind boggling how many scientists can't seem to get even the verbs right.

Always happy to be corrected. Would *hate* to remain unnecessarily ignorant.