Thread: Vision issue
View Single Post

Old 08-04-2023, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Decreasing visual acuity is quite common for those of us at a "certain age." I would hope that folks in your group would be understanding, and help you spot your shots.

That said, there are a few things that may provide some level of help. On cloudy or overcast days, a yellow or orange ball might help. They tend to stand out better against a white sky. On sunny, blue sky days, a white ball works well for me. My wife loves to play with those pink or red balls. I can't see those things under any conditions!

Another thing to try would be glasses with yellow lenses...think shooting glasses. Yellow lenses filter out blue UV light, and enhance depth perception. They also increase contrast, and make focusing a little easier.

If you already wear corrective lenses, and they are progressives, consider getting a pair of single vision glasses for golfing. Most people I know who have done this went with a distance prescription, and found them to be just the ticket for golf.

Last tip: Buy cheap balls. If you're going to lose them anyway, no sense playing with Pro V1's!

Good points here. Darker colored balls show up as a black spot against a grey overcast sky. When orange balls were first introduced in the 1970's, this was one of their selling points. With all the colors available today, you can optimize visibility for the sky conditions. I do play with progressive lenses now. Difficult for several rounds, until your eyes find the right spot on the lens during the swing. Stick with it and they will work wonderfully. Mine have transitions darkening, and I think that helps as well.