View Single Post

Old 08-06-2023, 12:06 PM
Platinum member

OK- full sun noon til sundown is the toughest to deal with. Limits your choices.

You might consider googling or Youtube-ing - trees/ shrubs for containers in full sun/ central florida. Then you can see pictures of select mature trees/shrubs and find what appeals.
Maybe a dwarf meyer lemon- but that is still a good sized tree and is a little delicate for our 9a zone.

My choices would be something more like: Orange Bird of Paradise (NOT white)
It can grow to 5 ft. , clumps and tends not to be high maintenance. (pull the spent flower spikes- don't cut.)
You can underplant it with (tough) blue daze or railroad vine if you like.
Bird of paradise likes a tall container- it has a long taproot.

Rosemary can be long lived- check Southern Living Plants website for new varieties.
I'd try a weeping variety with an upright variety in the middle.
Rosemary blooms in Spring and makes great kebab skewers and basting brushes for meat on the grill.
Touchable, smells fresh and can be shaped if you like.
Low maintenance.
You might also consider grasses? Purple fountain grass is lovely when the wind blows. It can need some afterwinter grooming but grows into great but manageable clumps about 4 ft. tall.
LOVE elephant ear varieties but they might fry in that much sun and they go dormant in winter.

Dollies with rollers can be a help IF you don't have far to roll the pot.

I prefer using those green frost protective pot covers with drawstrings- I use bamboo stakes in the pot before covering and cover the rim of the pot as well.
Works for me.