View Single Post

Old 08-13-2023, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,237 Times in 2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGraves View Post
The hard part for diy solution is to get a power source to plug in the transformer. You may need to get an electrician for that. They can perhaps tap into your post light and install a weather proof outlet box. Then you can plug in the transformer and run the low voltage wires to/from it. Most of the transformers have a light sensor to go on at night and off in morning.
All of the houses I have seen have GFCI protected outdoor receptacles installed. If you are lucky one of these will be in a suitable location. The bigger problem is typically getting across the driveway if needed. I found that using a power washer to clean out the stress cut, allows a #14 low voltage landscape cable to be installed in the stress cut. You MUST be very careful at the entrance and exit of the cable as landscapers tend to cut these wires with their string trimmers. I cannot count the number of times I had to repair wires in this location.
Having an outlet installed on the lamp post works great, make sure this is either a GFCI outlet or that the lamp post is protected by a GFCI. Make sure the weatherproof cover can be completely closed with the transformer plugged in. I believe there are special requirements for the mechanical connection of the new outlet box to the pole for weatherproofing also.