View Single Post

Old 08-15-2023, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,994 Times in 4,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
After the whole Covid vax scandal, I'm wondering what the retired MDs on here think about the flu shot. Still worth getting or more worthless propaganda?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Covid vax scandal? If you believe there was a scandal in the face of medical opinion to the contrary then why ask about medical opinion now?

Getting the flu shot is as worthwhile today as it was ten years ago and possibly more so since we are all ten years older.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
I "Think" the flu shot is a traditional vaccine. Not sure though.
Bill is 100% correct. We got sidetracked with COVID and a new type of vaccine that some considered controversial. But every year 35-70,000 Americans die of the flu. Not during COVID, of course, since it all got coded as COVID for $14,000 extra/patient.

The flu shot is a "traditional" vaccine---and except for some intranasal forms is a dead virus, not a live attenuated one. The most likely "side effect" of a flu shot is a sore arm. Period.

As far as RSV goes, when I was practicing it was a disease of young children, possibly a few immunocompromised folks. I never saw a case in and adult in 30+ years. Now that some company invented a vaccine, we are being told that seniors are at risk and should get the shot. From my perspective, the jury is out on that one.

Bottom line, IF I were to give advice, which I don't do, it would be to unequivocally get your flu shot.