View Single Post

Old 08-18-2023, 08:02 AM
Default Look at it this way

Look at it this way. With this discussion, most of what everyone is talking about is better than most people ever do to protect their online access. All of this makes it more likely that the hacker is going to go to the next person with less security as they do not want to work harder than they have to. So:

1 - For all your sites that have access to information you do not want exposed, you should used multi-factor authentication. Have it send the code to your phone via text or better yet, use an authenticator. Look in the security section of your account on the website to set it up.
2 - For the rest use a strong password (look it up) or a passphrase (even better). Do not repeat passwords or passphrases from one site to the next.
3 - If you like a password manager for your passwords, use it. If you keep an encrypted excel file on Google drive, fine. If you keep it on a USB, gulp...those things go bad and get lost. Just use something other than leaving your passwords laying around. The key is to use something to store your passwords in a secure manner.
4 - Keep your PC and Phone updated all the time with the latest security patches. You don't want someone camping out on your PC or phone grabbing your info.

You'll likely never fully get away from passwords, but where ever you can, use multi-factor authentication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I been tempted many times to use one of the password managers that are available.

My son works out of his house for a national bank, and keeps reminding me
they can and known to be hacked and recommends against them.

Your Thoughts