View Single Post

Old 08-25-2023, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,481 Times in 2,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
I read a few articles regarding this. Check out the article in which a BMW caught fire in the garage of a homeowner in Wesley Chapel. Even though the cause of that fire is still under investigation, It will provide you with some insight.
Yep, saw that one. Seems BMW has a problem with cars catching fire, but long before they were electric.
  • - The article was from 2018 when I suspect there were not too many (any?) BMW EVs
  • - The article mentions the vehicle's engine, not battery or motor
  • - The article talks about 40 cars catching fire in the last five years which would go back to 2013 when I'm sure there were not a lot of BMW EVs
  • - The article mentions a 2017 recall of about one million vehicles for fire-related issues - there is no way BMW has 1 million EVs on the road in 2017

Post #15 seems to want to imply that the recent Wesley Chapel fire was caused by lithium batteries. Nothing in the available reporting on that fire gives any evidence of that. Previous reporting on BMW fires indicates that BMW has had an issue since well before they were using lithium batteries.

The recent fire *might* have been caused by the batteries but we don't know that yet.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough