View Single Post

Old 08-26-2023, 05:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,890 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalley View Post
Agree that time here in The Villages is essential. You could start with a lifestyle visit. In general, the northern villages are more shady (and prettier) because of the mature trees. We love the north. Hiking at Lake Weir is 25 minutes drive for us. The Florida Greenway is 35 minutes. The Greenway is north of TV as is Lake Weir. Both are natural surface.
I agree. If Lake Weir is 25 minutes for you, then you probably live north of 466A, right? But if they buy a new house south of Florida’s Turnpike, Lake Weir will be more like 50 minutes to an hour, won’t it? They throw around a reference to “six miles” as if that were nothing, but that’s a good 20 minutes by car and twice that by golf cart. The homes south of the Turnpike are nice and new and a good place to make friends, but they really are sort of a different world, rather inconvenient. It may be that they are wanting a hiking place in The Villages because they want to get there by golf cart. But that may not be as romantic as it sounds. I used to drive from 466 and Morse to Aviary Rec Center down near Bradford for a club, and that took 30 minutes by car, and it would have been well over an hour by cart. This is all to say that they have their fantasies, and they read the brochures, but the reality will be different. Good, but different. I bought a great golf cart when I moved here, then realized I wasn’t going to be playing golf, and a cart was too slow and inconvenient and hot in the summer and cold in the winter for my life the way it was shaping up, so I sold it.