Thread: Hospice
View Single Post

Old 08-27-2023, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,958 Times in 5,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Two kinds of Hospice nurses, one will read the room, know the family wants long drawn out care, because family can’t come to agreement. But their job is to keep the patient comfortable not the family.
The other seems aggressive moving the process quickly, sometimes making families uncomfortable, because the patient is in such agony, their first concern is still what is best for their patient.

Hospice nurses don’t need to be thrown out. You express you are uncomfortable with them, ask them to leave. Then call the agency and ask to interview a new nurse. One can always hire a new agency.

In 45 plus years I have met, worked with, an been close friends with over 100 hospice nurses. Their job is one of the hardest in nursing careers, because there is only one outcome, and that’s to bring the patient to a comfortable state, progressing to death, and dealing with family and friends that can’t cope.

My closest friend an anesthesiologist, came unglued at a very good friend she used for a hospice nurse for her mom.

It wasn’t that hospice nurse was wrong, or unkind. My friend just couldn’t come to terms on what was best for her mom. Her MDA, gave her knowledge of process, just not how to cope.
My experience with hospice is totally opposite of yours. One example was when a nurse came to my house in a 30 year old car that was leaking oil onto my driveway. She had long greasy hair and weighed more than 300 pounds. I told her that the patient was upstairs, so she spent about 10 minutes hanging onto my wooden railing trying to climb the stairs to the point that I was afraid that she would break the railing. I told her to come back down and to leave my house. She came down but said that I had to sign a form before she could leave. I refused to sign the form and told her to leave and to never come back. The other nurse they sent also weighed 300 pounds and reeked of cigarette smoke. She was extremely rude and condescending. She kept pushing morphine to my friend who did not want to take it. A horrible experience.