Thread: Hospice
View Single Post

Old 08-27-2023, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,371 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My experience with hospice is totally opposite of yours. One example was when a nurse came to my house in a 30 year old car that was leaking oil onto my driveway. She had long greasy hair and weighed more than 300 pounds. I told her that the patient was upstairs, so she spent about 10 minutes hanging onto my wooden railing trying to climb the stairs to the point that I was afraid that she would break the railing. I told her to come back down and to leave my house. She came down but said that I had to sign a form before she could leave. I refused to sign the form and told her to leave and to never come back. The other nurse they sent also weighed 300 pounds and reeked of cigarette smoke. She was extremely rude and condescending. She kept pushing morphine to my friend who did not want to take it. A horrible experience.
We have had some great people through Vitas and a few mediocre ones. It varies quite a bit.

A social worker approached me after a physician had recommended palliative hospice when my Mom was at the Villages Regional Hospital. I eventually got involved with Vitas Palliative Care even though I was very reluctant at first.

There are also various in- home care providers which in my experience also vary a great deal in the quality and experience of the people who show up. We have had luck with Right at Home though. In Home Care for Seniors | Right at Home Ocala, FL | Elder Care at Home