Thread: Hospice
View Single Post

Old 08-29-2023, 07:00 AM

In hospice care you do not receive any medical treatments and this should be explained to you and to your family. You do receive palliative care (pain medication). Here is my experience with my mom. Once the difficult decision was made, the focus shifted to quality of remaining life. Volunteers with hospice visited my mom and focused on things she'd enjoy--like speaking to a young student who was studying her native language (Italian), or bringing in a volunteer who is also an accomplished opera singer. Another volunteer who was traveling to her native hometown in Italy sent back photos and IPhone videos. It was also made clear to me that although hospice is designed for end of life care, that people can end hospice care at any time. I also got help with planning for the funeral and other difficult end of life decisions from caring, lovely volunteers. The assigned nurse and doctor were also caring and kind. I'm sorry others had a bad experience and feel grateful that our experience was comforting to my mom and to us. I felt that hospice workers were angles on earth.