Thread: Hospice
View Single Post

Old 08-29-2023, 07:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,904 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Hospice is not necessarily in a facility. It can be done in your home. You voluntarily forfeit your Medicare Part B benefits in exchange for a specialized Medicare Part A plan that will do nothing to attempt to prolong your life. Hospice is not mandatory. They will not even allow the patient to receive fluids or IV nourishment. My only experience with hospice was with a friend in Virginia. It was a very negative experience because the hospice nurses were rude and totally incompetent and I had to throw them out of my house several times. But, apparently, there are some good hospice nurses and my experience may not be typical.
My grandmother had hospice care at home in 1986, then was taken to a hospice facility after she bled a lot, and she died that night. She was so grateful for the care she received. My mom had hospice care at home when she was 85. Someone came every day. She lasted about three weeks. She refused food, and toward the end, water, slipped into a coma, and was gone the next day. There was paperwork my dad had to sign in advance—and my mom, too, I guess—but after then the people who came were very nice, unobtrusive, and everyone was grateful.

I know this is hard. I wish you peace and a minimum of pain.