Thread: Hospice
View Single Post

Old 08-29-2023, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanie1160 View Post
Can anyone tell me their opinion of joining hospice?
It has gotten to that point and want to know I am making the right decision. Thank you
Hospice is a peaceful and beautiful experience for end of life care. Keep in mind too that it’s not just for you. If you have family it’s for them too. The support they receive is amazing and it will be there for them long after you’re gone. I used to work at hospice and one thing I heard over and over is, “I never knew this is what hospice was like. Wish I would have come sooner.” Patients and family say this.

You may already know: Your doctor has to make a hospice referral and he/she has to believe you have 6 months or less to live. Then hospice will evaluate/examine you to see if you are hospice appropriate. Meaning you need to meet insurance requirements. If you are admitted they will reevaluate every month. Some end up being in hospice for a year or more. Others are discharged cause they no longer meet the requirements. Believe it or not some people improve after hospice care begins. Sometimes it’s because the pain is relieved so the energy that went to dealing with the pain is now used on normal body function and maybe some healing. Other times it’s because they are taken off of the multiple meds that had been interacting with each other and wearing on the body.

Keep in mind too that you can choose to be discharged from hospice at anytime.

Last edited by kendi; 08-29-2023 at 09:00 AM.