View Single Post

Old 09-13-2023, 08:50 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,686 Times in 1,784 Posts

I like the Schwab trading platform the best among those I have used. I have been buying T-bills since interest rates have risen and used only Schwab for that. Nonetheless Schwab's book, mentioned in the OP, was an eye opener about the treacherous path the wirehouse has led since its founding. Most recently it was caught holding low interest long term treasuries when the Fed started raising its interest rate.

"Longer-Term Bond Holdings
Schwab has been caught in the crossfire of the current banking crisis because of its large holdings of longer-term bonds. The concern is Schwab might be forced to sell them at a loss to try to cover client withdrawals, a scenario that led to the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank."

"Pain can be a powerful teacher. In one poignant section of the book, Schwab tells the story of a perilous client, Teddy Wang, a Hong Kong real estate tycoon, whose overextended accounts nearly sank Schwab’s company during the stock market crash of 1987. At the nadir, Wang owed the firm $126 million, according to Schwab. (The two parties eventually reached a $67 million settlement.) After that trial by fire, Schwab put in place controls that would be invaluable when the dotcom and housing bubbles burst years later. “So much of what the Charles Schwab Corporation has since become I trace to what we learned from that singular event,” Schwab says."

From: Charles Schwab on the Lessons He’s Learned Over a Lifetime of Investing | The WealthAdvisor

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-13-2023 at 08:57 AM.