View Single Post

Old 09-29-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Good luck expecting Windows to pick up the digital license automatically on a refurbished computer. The Windows license is for one computer only, and they use a digital fingerprint method to identify the specific computer. If you replace major components, it may be almost impossible to reinstall Windows, even if you have the Windows product code.
I've done it more times than I can count. The Windows 10 or 11 digital license is stored on the motherboard I believe in the bios. It remains with the motherboard. Move the motherboard to another PC case and the license goes with it. A windows install will pick it right up. I did it this week with my laptop. The touchpad is not working correctly and HP has accepted a warranty return. They indicated that the M.2 ssd might be reimaged during the repair and I would lose all my data. I simply swapped another clean M.2 ssd and installed Windows 11. It picked the digital license up instantly. They can do whatever they want with that ssd. I needed Windows installed so they could see that the touchpad is not working right.