View Single Post

Old 10-20-2023, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,085 Times in 4,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Sorry, but consider ALL traffic and then discover the problem with the driving diagrams and the faulty advice and criticism G.E. gives.

Let me demonstrate how cars crash.

Let's start with no other vehicles anywhere except for 2 cars arriving at a RAB. Each one wants to travel half way through the RAB and exit. Red car comes in at 6:00 and exits at 12:00. Blue car comes in at 3:00 and exits at 9:00.

Red car is in the left lane and they are the first car to enter RAB, and goes into the inner lane of the RAB. Starts going around. (driving diagrams show driving line allowing a "straight through" route)
Blue car arrives next, and sees red car, and waits until red car is passing. Blue enters the outer lane of the RAB. (driving diagrams show driving line allowing a "straight through" route)

At 12:00 spot, red car attempts to exit. Directly in front of path of blue car. Crash happens.

Both cars are following the routes shown on published diagrams for lane use.
Cars entered when lanes were 100% clear.
Neither car is next to each other.
Neither crossed any white lines.
Both cars followed every sign diagram.
Both cars followed every lane marking arrows.

Yet, they crash.
Those diagrams fail to account for traffic entering and exiting from all 4 roads. Blindly assuming that following those travel paths is foolish. That is the problem most people fail to comprehend.
This example is for just two cars. Expand that to a lot of cars, each person following their own version of what to do.

So never be next to another car. Always expect them to turn in front of your path and leave a lot of space to stop.
Oddly, that effectively reduces lane usage to one lane. Exactly the same thing I said by mandating outside lane must exit at the next road after they enter - no going to the second road. Only one lane is allowed to go past side roads. By forcing one lane, crash potentials are drastically reduced. Since the "expert" advice spaces cars into the equivalent of one lane, it's not going to slow anything down.
And once again, that is WRONG!!!! My advice is NOT faulty and my criticism of bad drivers is valid. Once again, this thread demonstrates that probably 1/2 of the drivers are clueless as to the proper method of navigating a RB, the post I'm responding to is a perfect example.

In the scenario he describes, the only way a crash happens at 12:00 is if the car entering the RB at 3:00 does not allow the car in the inner lane to pass far enough ahead, or enters and speeds around faster than the car in the inner lane. The fault is entirely upon the driver entering the RB at 3:00, NOT the design of the RB and NOT the car in the inner lane. Once again, this is not rocket science