View Single Post

Old 10-20-2023, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Recently, I noticed that my garage door was making a lot more noise than usual when I opened the door. Today, I used a wet rag to clean the door gasket at the bottom of the door and the concrete floor where the gasket rests. It made a huge difference in the noise issue. Apparently, the gasket was sticking to the concrete foor and putting strain on the motor. I also sprayed all of the moving parts on the door with lithium spray-on grease, which is something I do every 3 or 4 months. I use the WD-40 brand of white lithium grease, that is available from Amazon.
I found that grease collects dust if you don’t wipe off all the excess. Over time the roller bearings, hinges and tracks full of grit and hinges pivot points stick. I cleaned them all up with brake clean, used vise grips or pliers to get the hinge pivot points moving and very light greased wiping off all excess. Other areas of concern the lift cables fraying, hinges screws loosing over time from vibration, mud dobbers up in motor chain area, and spring shaft bearings.