View Single Post

Old 10-25-2023, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,697 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1974 View Post
Labor shortages is a problem in our country . Many workers have to do the job of 2 or 3 workers which is unfair. It’s not about not wanting to pay for labor . They cannot find enough labor .
My wife and I were vacationing in Thailand some years back. It was my first trip there following our marriage. My wife is ethnic Thai, so that gave me a great opportunity to avoid the tourist traps, to travel and hang out with the family and see the real Thailand. I particularly enjoyed the street vendors in the towns (Bangkok, Khaenkhoi, Siekhieu, some others) we visited. My observation to my wife was that it looked like half the country was buying, the other half selling.

During one of our conversations I asked her about the Thai public welfare system.

Her reply: "Simple. If you don't work, you don't eat".

Our problem isn't a shortage of labor. Our problem is a government that pays people to sit on their collective a__es and collect money that the rest of us pay out in taxes. I think that a little of the "if you don't work, you don't eat" ethic would go a long way here.