View Single Post

Old 10-25-2023, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,739 Times in 3,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
My wife and I were vacationing in Thailand some years back. It was my first trip there following our marriage. My wife is ethnic Thai, so that gave me a great opportunity to avoid the tourist traps, to travel and hang out with the family and see the real Thailand. I particularly enjoyed the street vendors in the towns (Bangkok, Khaenkhoi, Siekhieu, some others) we visited. My observation to my wife was that it looked like half the country was buying, the other half selling.

During one of our conversations I asked her about the Thai public welfare system.

Her reply: "Simple. If you don't work, you don't eat".

Our problem isn't a shortage of labor. Our problem is a government that pays people to sit on their collective a__es and collect money that the rest of us pay out in taxes. I think that a little of the "if you don't work, you don't eat" ethic would go a long way here.
Except, she is incorrect.

Quote:
Thailand has a relatively comprehensive social protection system. There are 44 non-contributory government welfare programmes that take care of people in all age ranges.
They also have universal health care, where treatment is completely free except on Saturdays. While their medical care is considered fairly good, they have long wait times and outdated equipment.

They also have unemployment compensation. They also don't offer freedom of expression or assembly - their government has some restrictions on both. Their government commits torture and "forced disappearances" of people who violate their laws. There is no gender equality, or even any attempt at it.

So if you like the idea of "no work, no eat" then enjoy Thailand. I'd rather enjoy my retirement, and not have to work til I'm dead because of sub-standard pay.