View Single Post

Old 11-03-2023, 06:25 AM
Default Economics

I installed 24 panels on my home in UT in 2012 and have produced roughly 10MW of power over that time. It supplied my home’s needs plus an additional 1,000KW per year of excess power to the grid and I spent $10,000 for the installation.
My power bill went from $1,200/yr to $120/yr and the system should continue to provide all the power for the home for another 12 years.
Government, on behalf of the people, subsidizes many industries, solar among them. Oil and gas receive almost a $Trillion per year in subsidies. Space exploration, Medicine, Foreign Policy and Defense all receive massive inflows of tax dollars to benefit us.
I won’t argue that the investment in my solar installation might have returned more $$ in another sector. Some like to spend their money on automobiles, but I never hear anyone complain about the poor return there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I think people are also starting to realize that the economics do not support solar in many states, I worked in the electric utility industry and had planned on putting solar on our house until I looked at the economics. I would be more inclined to buy into a group or neighborhood GROUND BASED solar field.