View Single Post

Old 11-08-2023, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
For me, a good deli means a great hot pastrami on rye and great onion rings. My favorite was the Carnegie Deli across from Carnegie Hall in NYC. Last month I took a friend whose favorite is Katz’s Deli in NYC to TooJays in Lake Sumter Landing. The description of the hot pastrami sandwich says “piled sky high.” No. It was a small roll of dry, fat-free, barely-flavored pastrami on small slices of rye. NOT “sky high.” I guess the sky is falling. We were both disappointed. The waitress said the pastrami was weighed before heating, so they were all the same. That was her first time, but it was the third lousy hot pastrami I’ve had there. I’m done with TooJays. Last time I had the onion rings, the onions were too juicy with water in them and had little onion flavor. No more. I’m crossing it off the list. The latkes were good, though.
My old boss traveled to NYC twice a month. Every trip one special suitcase for food from Carnegie or Katz, everything from bagels, pastrami, corned beef, bread, and all the fixings. One really can’t replace really good deli once you have had some of the best.