View Single Post

Old 11-12-2023, 09:05 AM
Default Cutting to short

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post
My lawn is going bad also. Mine is because the guy I hired to mow does me third in a series of six or so houses and has brought weeds from the houses before mine into my yard. The weed is a Spurge, and it spreads rapidly. I told my mower guy I would get him a ramp to drive up on so that he could use my hose to wash the bottom of his mower (he refused, and that is understandable), and so I asked him to mow my lawn first and clean his mower at home before coming out (again, he refused). At first, he was running his machine so fast that he was rutting my lawn and destroying sprinkler heads and landscaping lights, but I asked him to slow down and not run his mower at full throttle. That helped a little, but not with the weed problem. I recently hired a landscaping company to remove the weeds, plug the patches with sod, and spray the lawn with a "weed and feed" type chemical once a month. It is expensive, but they are certain they can get the lawn back to how it looked a few months ago.

Now, here is my question for you -- does my St. Agustine grass need to be mowed weekly during the winter months (my lawn mowing guy mowed it short last time and wants to mow it every other week during the winter months), and do you think I could find somebody in the area to mow using my own riding mower and gas. If so, how often should the job be done?
Cutting every other week is fine. Cutting to short is not. A number of us asked the lawn guys to cut a little longer. Low and behold, the grass is green and lush. St. Augustine doesn't like to be cut to short.

Finding someone that actually sprays the weeds is the next issue.
It appears the company that does my lawn fertilizer and weeds seems to do a lot better job on the front and sides of the house. Hey, it's what you see from the road. The back of the house looks like it wasn't fertilized or sprayed for weeds. Hmm, their contract will not be renewed.