View Single Post

Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Gold member

This was my pet peeve with DirecTV. When I was in the buying mode I was told by a sales agent that I would be able to subscribe to the sports package that included the YES network as well as numerous other sports channels around the country. Since the price of this was nominal, I ordered DirecTV last winter with the intent of activating the sports package in April for the baseball season.

However, when April came and I tried to order the package, I was told that since YES was not in the Florida region that I would not be able to subsrcibe to it - it is only available in the NYC area. They said the only recourse was to subscribe to the MLB Extra Innings package - for a lot more money. After much kicking and screaming, I ended up doing just that. With the Extra Innings package I can get most (but not all) Yankee games as they are broadcast by YES and Channel 9 in NYC. While this is OK for game coverage, it still lacks the full YES coverage (i.e., pre and post-game coverage plus all the other shows that appear on YES).

Yes, the satellite is at times disrupted by weather (but the weather has to be quite severe for it to be a problem) and yes, the receiver takes forever to reboot if power is disrupted, but if you want to watch a lot of sports and in particular sports from other regions, DirecTV has the best options - if you are willing to pay for them. If you are not into sports, I would recommend staying with Comcast. Their customer service and integrity is miles ahead of DirecTV.

Last edited by NJblue; 09-30-2009 at 07:07 AM.