View Single Post

Old 11-16-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I rewrote this thread because I just wanted to get opinions about the mission change for the Tunnel to Towers charity, not to create a controversy. I have always considered this charity to be one of my favorites because of their focus on helping veterans with severe physical disabilities suffered in combat to get housing, and because of their exceptional cost efficiency. Now, Frank Siller is appearing in TV commercials asking for donations to help homeless veterans with PTSD. I don't deny that some veterans suffer from PTSD, but I just don't view veterans with PTSD in the same way as veterans who lost their legs in combat. I also believe that some disability claims for PTSD may be fraudulent and I don't trust the current screening process for PTSD claims. Please provide opinions.
I love that Tunnel to Towers helps vets with service related disabilities get housing. It's most certainly a worthy cause.

I am no expert on PTSD but my heart goes out to anyone living with it. It is not a visible disability, but is a disability. If you enjoy reading and would like to read about a dog that a vet had to help him with PTSD I would recommend it. The title is "Until Tuesday, author Luis Carlos Montalván." The book gives a lot of insight into what it is like (at least for this particular veteran) living with PTSD. I understand that this doesn't give you the confidence that some vets claims are fraudulent but wanted to mention it to you.

Every single day 22 veterans take their own lives, many because of PTSD.

There is an organization (Guardian Angel Medical Service Dogs (GAMSD)) in Williston, FL that trains German Shepherds to help veterans, first responders (and others) living with disabilities, including PTSD. These dogs are specially trained for each individual and their is never a charge to the recipient for the dog. Among other things these dogs help opening doors, in some instances getting items for their person (from the fridge, laundry, etc.) Also seizure alert. A special phone can be set up for the veteran. If something happens to the vet their dog can hit a button to reach a 911 operator. There are of course many videos and stories from different veterans who have received a dog from GAMSD. I once watched one of their videos where a veteran told his story about receiving one of these dogs. Shortly after receiving the dog the vet decided to kill himself by shooting himself. The dog came to him and somehow stopped him. I don't remember the details but that dog saved a vets life who had PTSD. The dog knows how to go to him and make him feel better, how to read him and calm him down. When my husband has gone to the VA in Gainesville we would sometimes see these particular Guardian Angel Medical Service Dog's with their vets.