View Single Post

Old 11-17-2023, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,482 Times in 2,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
My gas golf cart won't start. Battery is out of juice. My fault, I left the key in the 'on' position over night. Can I jump start it from my car?
It's Yamaha Drive 2 Quietech EFI.
I don't believe that will be very effective.

The golf cart engine doesn't start and idle like an automobile. When you press the accelerator, a motor runs to turn the engine over and cause it to start. This also causes the cart to move. When you take your foot off the accelerator, the engine stops and so does the charging.

You could put the cart into neutral and then keep the accelerator depressed far enough to keep the engine running. The cart would not move though the engine would continue to run. This would allow the cart to recharge the battery as long as the engine kept running.

You *might* either use neutral to run the engine for a few minutes to warm it up and get an initial charge on the battery. Or, you could leave it connected to your running car until there was enough charge to start the cart moving. Then you could take the cart for a good long ride to allow it to charge itself. There is still a concern that if you let up on the accelerator (for instance: at a stop sign) the engine will stop and if you don't have enough charge it will not start again.

Perhaps someone in your neighborhood has a charger you could borrow?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough