View Single Post

Old 12-15-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP, you ask some good questions. I have purchased and “flipped” several houses over the years (didn’t get rich but did make some money) but only rented a couple of them. I did put a pencil to renting property in The Villages. No question there is money to be made from several rentals but it also can quickly turn into a full time job. I decided not to trade the good job I previously had (for 38 years) for another one. We are comfortable. Retirement brings two questions. 1. How much time do you have left and 2. What do you want to do with the unknown time you have left. After some thought and discussion we decided on some travel, more time golfing, church and club activities, neighborhood and friends, and remaining flexible to new ideas, activities, etc., etc. But to each their own.
Thank you. Appreciate it. I’m grasping at straws.

My life didn’t go as planned financially. My wife and I have worked hard since our teenage years and made plenty of money. Neither of us had support or guidance from family and made some bad decisions( marriages) along the way. Our fault, no one else’s. Her ex left without any support for kids and I paid dearly to support mine. We both lost our savings and were plunged into a financial hole. As a result it took years to dig out of the financial hole from 5 kids and a government that takes more money each year than our entire net worth. We have been making great progress more recently. My wife has enough retirement income for herself. I’m not at that point yet and just seem to be burnt out. I’m looking at retirement numbers EVERY day. I’m trying to motivate myself to keep going but for some reason I feel like I’m done and the finish line really isn’t that far away. I’m sure I’ll drag myself across the finish line and make it to retirement.

lol maybe I should be laying on a couch and paying hourly to vent my frustrations.