View Single Post

Old 12-15-2023, 04:08 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,662 Times in 1,777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
it amazes me how much advice is given by people on this site when an request is made for legal or tax advice who are guessing and don't really know the answer. If you want legal or tax advice go to a professional in these fields. What applied in one set of circumstances may not apply to the poster's situation. This inquiry needs more info to provide a correct answer or provide alternative ideas. You're all trying to be helpful but if you don't know the answer ....
Thank you for this observation. I could not agree more.

While responding posters's advice appears to be well intended a number of the posts are replete with dangerous misguidance including an ill-informed recommendation based on out of date tax law that no longer applies. I use dangerous in the sense that a return could likely be red flagged by the IRS as obviously incorrect. An audit would mean costly penalties, interest charges and possibly professional fees. I encourage the OP not to be pennywise and pound-foolish. Seek professional assistance before filing a tax return.

The OP's situation requires professional guidance as several issues present themselves. It is not a simple yes or no. Although little information was provided it certainly was sufficient to indicate a tax professional should be consulted, a CPA or a registered agent. I doubt a tax attorney is needed.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 12-15-2023 at 06:52 PM.