View Single Post

Old 12-16-2023, 09:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,105 Times in 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2018 View Post
We have noticed that our garage ceiling has cracks and taped seams comng apart. Has anyone had this problem and got help from a good reliable company or handyman?

Thanks so much!
I had this problem at first in a small area, then it expanded. I initially attempted to repair the defective areas, but it kept expanding.

The problem in my garage was that the drywall joints are not supported and the expansion from heat and cooling deteriorates the joints. I decided that the best repair would be to secure all the joints. I bought 1" by 3" boards and covered all of the seams.

The garage joists were installed horizontal to the garage door. The 4' x 8' dry wall sheets were installed with the 8 foot length from front to back. That leaves the entire 8 foot length of drywall supported only every two feet. I screwed the 1 x 3 boards along the 8 foot dry wall joint using the joists (24" on center). Countersunk and covered screwheads. Used a stud finder to insure joist location. Also used care to insure the 1 X 3 boards were properly aligned. Also used some liquid nails at certain areas.

My garage ceiling had a knockdown finish. I painted the whole ceiling and boards. I added a popcorn finish grit to the ceiling paint over the newly installed boards. Gave it a light sanding.

Cost was about $100. Did the work myself about 3 years ago and it still looks good.