View Single Post

Old 12-17-2023, 08:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,890 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Looks like $50M per mile for a ten mile shortcut with a charging system that is no existing EV can use. If Florida builds it, they will come? Have to start somewhere. We'll see.
I guess it’s a little like street cars that had a pole with a spring that held a conductor to a live overhead power line. Some electric trains run the same way. I assume there would be a similar gadget under the car on a spring that would drag or roll along the ground or just above it. Interesting. I also assume that the vehicles using it would be registered automatically and charged for the current electricity they use. SECO charges us about 11 cents per kilowatt hour. Rechargers near the road charge a lot more than that. I assume that this in-the-road system would be even more, in addition to the toll. I drive a Prius Prime that gets 26 miles of driving on a charge from a standard outlet in my garage, then uses the gas engine after that like a regular Prius. So I pay 11 cents per KWH for that, and most weeks I use gas maybe once. Over 46,000 miles of driving, I’m getting 153 miles per gallon on gas usage. Without that electricity, I’d get about 50.