View Single Post

Old 12-18-2023, 07:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,878 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I have been here since the fall of 2021 and this is by far the most rain I have seen. I saw no flooding in Sawgrass area and none of the ponds in the area are anywhere near reaching the top so I figure that we could easily get a foot of rain without any flooding which is good news.

I have seen videos of the Villages after some hurricanes in which some areas were flooded.

How does the rain compare to those of you who lived here during any hurricanes? Was the flooding caused by the hurricane or was the flooding deliberate by draining the ponds?
Hurricane Irma brought a foot of rain in a day, but no houses were flooded, so far as I know. The flood control system in The Villages is excellent, and of course we don’t get battered by waves or rising tides. If there is a hurricane coming, there are a lot of flood control measures taken in advance that weren’t taken this time because it was a lot more rain than expected in a season when that sort of rain is unusual, but the system handled it just fine.