View Single Post

Old 12-18-2023, 09:11 AM
Default Pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I had this problem at first in a small area, then it expanded. I initially attempted to repair the defective areas, but it kept expanding.

The problem in my garage was that the drywall joints are not supported and the expansion from heat and cooling deteriorates the joints. I decided that the best repair would be to secure all the joints. I bought 1" by 3" boards and covered all of the seams.

The garage joists were installed horizontal to the garage door. The 4' x 8' dry wall sheets were installed with the 8 foot length from front to back. That leaves the entire 8 foot length of drywall supported only every two feet. I screwed the 1 x 3 boards along the 8 foot dry wall joint using the joists (24" on center). Countersunk and covered screwheads. Used a stud finder to insure joist location. Also used care to insure the 1 X 3 boards were properly aligned. Also used some liquid nails at certain areas.

My garage ceiling had a knockdown finish. I painted the whole ceiling and boards. I added a popcorn finish grit to the ceiling paint over the newly installed boards. Gave it a light sanding.

Cost was about $100. Did the work myself about 3 years ago and it still looks good.
I have this same problem in my garage There doesn't seem to be a problem with unequal distribution of weight causing the separation, so I don't know the reason it has happened. I like your description of repair; is there a chance that you could post a photo of what it looks like? I'd like to try this, but I'd like to see what it looks like first. Thanks.