View Single Post

Old 12-19-2023, 11:26 AM
Default Brp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
WE have been in TV and done the NY - FL and vice versa for 18 years. Have learned to despise traveling I 95 and I 81. Our trip is 1350 miles the shortest route. That requires a minimum of one overnight and that is still exhausting on us. Over the years one night stop went to two nights. Where to stay on the interstates was a nightmare. Most hotels are badly in need of upgrades and we seemed to catch the mid night "louds" in the next room often.

We now take 3-5 night stay in Airbnbs (use the self check in and super host features) and stay off the interstates most of the way. We have seen some amazing places when you slow down and do the back roads. No more eating in the car or fast food joints. Keep the daily drive to around 300-350 miles. Usually we pick one spot that is new to us and stay there two nights. First night is arrival. Second day to explore that area. This year our surprise was Providence Canyon in Georgia - amazing scenery. The trip now feels more like a vacation than a dreaded chore. To name just a few must sees - Savannah, Charleston, Beaufort SC, Asheville, Lancaster PA, Greenville SC, PInehurst NC, Federick MD. Also visiting major university campus taking in their architecture is very rewarding.
Saw Staunton and Asheville mentioned earlier - connected via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Used to drive it every chance I got.