View Single Post

Old 12-26-2023, 07:25 AM
Sage

As already suggested, you should probably call them and ask. However, it doesn't make that much of a difference. The Xfinity trunk lines (for lack of a better term) are probably fiber but the last 50 feet to the house is coax. There are providers that will give you fiber to the house, depending on where you live. For example, Quantum Fiber (aka CenturyLink) offers fiber to the house is some areas of The Villages. Centric Fiber also apparently offers fiber to the house in some areas south of 44. Spectrum is also available in some ares of The Villages but they use, as far as I know, coax for the last 50 feet. There are also 5G cellular network based internet providers (AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon), but I digress. Regardless of whether the last 50 feet are coax or fiber, there is much more available bandwidth than you can consume, unless you are doing something extraordinary. One advantage of fiber to the house is that you will typically get a dynamic IP address to an RJ-45 ethernet jack in your house, which means you can plug any computer or router into that jack. With a coax for the last 50 feet, you will typically have to use a provided or approved modem/router to connect to a coax jack. Welcome to The Villages and I hope the move goes smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicRoDrafting View Post
SEASONS GREETINGS
We are moving to the Village of Piedmont in mid January, and
we are wondering if Xfinity has upgraded to FIBER-OPTIC ??

Last edited by biker1; 12-26-2023 at 08:45 AM.